June 24, 2021
  • 5:29 am Gatland praises battle-hardened Wales
  • 5:29 am Connacht’s Keith Matthews to win 100th cap
  • 5:26 am Stuart Lancaster: An honest man who failed on the biggest stage
  • 5:26 am A week in the life of a Sale Sharks academy player, Part Three
  • 5:25 am Round Two: Six Nations Team of the Week

first_imgRelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians FIFA is getting ready to deal with complaints and appeals over wage cuts for players, an internal document seen by Reuters showed. According to the document, the world football body has now produced guidelines for clubs and football bodies looking to cut costs during the stoppage caused by the coronavirus pandemic. The issue of pay cuts for players has exploded as a major controversy in England while in other countries, such as Germany and Spain, players have accepted temporary reductions in earnings. With football halted across the globe, however, FIFA is aware that it may well have to deal with a series of different agreements and possible complaints. Its guidelines urge any cuts to be “proportionate”. FIFA’s Coronavirus working group met last week and agreed on a wide range of issues, summarised in the document. These included that player contracts due to run out in June should be extended to the end of any resumed season. The internal paper notes that such decisions will inevitably reflect national law and specific agreements in each country but says it is keen to avoid large discrepancies between similar leagues and clubs. It also urges clubs, leagues and players to reach “appropriate collective agreements”. The guiding principles behind such deals should be to “guarantee some form of salary payment to players and coaches, avoid litigation, protect contractual stability, and ensure clubs do not go bankrupt, while considering the financial impact of COVID-19 on clubs”. Crucially, the document states that unilateral decisions to change contracts “will only be recognised when they are otherwise deemed reasonable” by FIFA’s Dispute Resolutions Chamber or Players Status Committee. This is where clubs and employees cannot reach agreement and where “national law does not address the situation or collective agreements are not applicable”. “A reasonable” contractual change will take into account the economic situation of a club, the proportionality of any salary amendment and the net income of the employee after that amendment, FIFA noted in the document. FIFA will also take into account whether the decision applies to the entire squad or only specific employees, and whether the club attempted in good faith to reach a mutual agreement with its employees. The FIFA document summarising the working group’s views will be submitted to the Bureau of the FIFA Council for approval. A FIFA spokesman said it was not in a position to comment as a proposal was being made to the Council, and “we cannot pre-empt that decision”. The coronavirus working group is composed of representatives from across the game including the FIFA administration, confederations, national federations, the European Club Association, players union FIFPRO and the World Leagues Forum. The group also offered an alternative approach. This is in which “all agreements between clubs and employees should be ‘suspended’ during any suspension of competitions provided proper insurance coverage is maintained, and adequate alternative income support arrangements can be found for employees during the period in question.” The group agreed that transfer windows should be adjusted to reflect the changed dates of seasons, with priority given to teams finishing the current season with their existing squad. FIFA has also ruled that planned new restrictions on loan deals will not come into effect until the end of the current period of uncertainty surrounding the game due to the pandemic. Reuters/NAN.Tags: CoronavirusCOVID-19FIFApay cutlast_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgELLSWORTH — The Ellsworth baseball team had an experienced crop of players in 2018, and the result was the Eagles’ best season in a generation.Ellsworth finished the 2018 season with a record of 17-2 and claimed the Penobscot Valley Conference title as the conference’s top-ranked team. The Eagles made it all the way to the Northern Maine championship game, the team’s strongest finish since 1992.Ellsworth’s dominance on the mound in 2018 played a major role in the team’s success. Led by juniors Matt Burnett and Conner Wagstaff, who went a combined 13-0 with 125 strikeouts and just 22 earned runs allowed in 82 innings pitched in the regular season, the Eagles shut out opponents in eight of their 19 games and allowed three or fewer runs six additional times.The Eagles also had an outstanding year at the plate, where they scored an average of 8.6 runs per game. Eight players finished the regular season with 13 or more hits, and the Eagles batted an impressive .330 as a team.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textWagstaff, Burnett and Jackson Curtis were selected to the All-Penobscot Valley Conference first team for Ellsworth. In addition to being named PVC Pitcher of the Year for his strong efforts on the mound, Burnett, who batted .426 on the season, was also named PVC Player of the Year.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img1 For Manchester United, it was a transfer window that promised so much, but ultimately delivered little, as the Red Devils failed to land one of their ‘big targets’.In the eyes of the club’s supporters though, it has been an encouraging month, with United fans already looking forward to another summer of strengthening.But is their optimism pure naivity? Scroll down to see the fall-out from United’s January transfer window… Darren Fletcher left Man United on deadline day last_img

READ MORE