June 23, 2021
  • 5:29 am Gatland praises battle-hardened Wales
  • 5:29 am Connacht’s Keith Matthews to win 100th cap
  • 5:26 am Stuart Lancaster: An honest man who failed on the biggest stage
  • 5:26 am A week in the life of a Sale Sharks academy player, Part Three
  • 5:25 am Round Two: Six Nations Team of the Week

first_imgMoreland, 32, spent the first seven seasons of his career with the Rangers. The 32-year-old left-handed batter hit .246 with 22 homers 79 RBIs in his first season with the team last year. His home run total was just behind Mookie Betts (24) and Hanley Ramirez (23) on the Red Sox, who hit an AL-low 168 for the season.“I love playing here, love the guys, everything about it,” Moreland said in a conference call with reporters. “Looking forward to being back and maybe taking care of some unfinished business.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkMoreland broke his toe last year, but never went on the disabled list, playing in a career-high 149 games.“I don’t like to point fingers at things. I know it didn’t feel good,” he said. “That’s who I am, I’m trying to go out there and play. … I’m not planning to break my toe this year, so hopefully we can stay out of that.” Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals LATEST STORIES “Hanley will be capable of playing first base this year,” Dombrowski said. “If we open the season as we are right now with no other additions, I’m really not sure how that would split.”Moreland won a Gold Glove in 2016 and was a finalist for the award last season. Dombrowski said his defense makes him more valuable than he may appear.“There are a couple of guys that hit more home runs, that from an offensive perspective might be more appealing,” Dombrowski said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Moreland gets $6.5 million in each of the next two seasons as part of the deal announced Monday. He can earn $500,000 annually in performance bonuses: $250,000 each for 500 and 550 plate appearances.Red Sox baseball boss Dave Dombrowski said the team wanted to look around before bringing Moreland back. When Carlos Santana signed with the Philadelphia Phillies, that removed one of the big options.“We jumped in at that point,” Dombrowski said. “We figured we would move forward at that time.”Moreland’s return could reduce playing time for Ramirez, who could be traded. Ramirez’s contract includes a $22 million option for 2019 that would become guaranteed if he has 1,050 plate appearances in 2017 and ’18 combined and passes a physical at the end of next season. Ramirez had 553 plate appearances last season.Ramirez started 108 games at designated hitter and 17 at first base last season, when he was slowed by a left shoulder injury that required surgery in October. Bryce Brentz and Blake Swihart are DH options against left-handed pitchers.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READ FILE – This Sept. 23, 2017 file photo shows Boston Red Sox’s Mitch Moreland celebrating in the dugout after hitting a three-run home run off Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Robert Stephenson in the sixth inning of a baseball game in Cincinnati. Moreland is remaining with the Red Sox, agreeing to a $13 million, two-year contract, Monday, Dec. 18, 2017. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, file)BOSTON — First baseman Mitch Moreland has agreed to a $13 million, two-year contract to return to the Boston Red Sox and play for former teammate Alex Cora.“He’s a great baseball guy,” said Moreland, who was on the Texas Rangers when Cora made a brief appearance there in 2010. “He was a great teammate then, and I don’t expect anything different from him as a manager.”ADVERTISEMENT Slain NBA star’s ex-wife appears in California courtlast_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgFultz’s season has certainly sprung back to life.With a playoff berth clinched for the first time since 2012 and only 10 games left, Fultz decided the time was right to come back from an injured shoulder and busted confidence that had cost him all but four games of his rookie season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownFultz, who did not speak to the media, came off the bench against Denver.“It was his decision,” coach Brett Brown said. “It’s been fluid. I get goosebumps telling you all that. I’m so proud of him. The people around him have done great things. I give that kid credit.” MOST READ In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “The Process” orchestrated by former general manager Sam Hinkie and now led by Colangelo has seemingly worked — and a healthy, confident Fultz could only make the Sixers a force in the Eastern Conference for years ahead.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FILE – In this Oct. 23, 2017, file photo, Philadelphia 76ers guard Markelle Fultz (20) drives to the basket during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Detroit. Fultz will return to the 76ers’ lineup on Monday, March 26, 2018. Coach Brett Brown made the surprise announcement before the Sixers’ game against Denver. (AP Photo/Carlos Osorio, File)PHILADELPHIA — The curious case of Markelle Fultz took a surprising turn when the No. 1 pick of the 2017 draft was in the lineup for the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday for the first time since October.All-Star center Joel Embiid tweeted a GIF of WWE star The Undertaker rising from a casket.ADVERTISEMENT “This recovery was a little bit longer than expected,” Colangelo said.The 76ers traded the No. 3 overall pick and a future first-round pick to the Boston Celtics for the No. 1 pick with the intention of drafting Fultz.Fultz, a 6-foot-4 guard, kept a low profile and the only updates came from media shooting his video drills where he usually seemed to have little range, an inability to hit catch-and-shoot jumpers and an awkward form.The scrutiny surrounding his broken shot rattled the University of Washington star and he seemingly had been healthy enough to play — but his morale needed as much of a lift as his jumper.“Never was it at a stage where it definitely was going to happen,” Brown said. “Today, I felt something good with the performance he has been having in practices and some workouts. You could tell he has a confidence and a spirit.”Fultz averaged 6 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists in his four games this season. He didn’t attempt a 3-pointer. Colangelo said he didn’t know if Fultz would play in the summer league.“The risk-reward, I’m going to lean on reward,” Brown said. “He’s different than anything that we have.”Colangelo said a drop-dead return date was never established, though the Sixers were getting closer to having one.“There’s going to be setback along the way in terms of your confidence,” Colangelo said. “I’m not even certain we can he’s 100 percent. But he’s 100 percent ready to get out on the floor in his own mind.”Led by Embiid and rookie of the year favorite Ben Simmons, the Sixers have won 42 games and put one of the worst stretches of basketball in NBA history behind them. Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View commentscenter_img Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina The 19-year-old Fultz played the 76ers’ first four games of the season but has been sidelined since.He was ruled out indefinitely in October with soreness and a scapular muscle imbalance in the shoulder. The team announced Dec. 9 the soreness was gone, the imbalance had been resolved, and he was going to participate in “elevated on-court basketball activities.” Then on Jan. 2, the team announced Fultz had been cleared to begin the final stage of his “return-to-play program.”The whole saga has mostly been a mystery, from likely return dates to the origin of the injury.“The cause is unknown at this stage,” team president Bryan Colangelo said. “We don’t know where it started, when it started. But it was some time from the time we saw him in summer league … to something that very quickly rose to awareness in late September, early October.”Fultz struggled with his mechanics when he did play, and his shooting form was widely mocked around the NBA. No one in the organization can pinpoint when Fultz’s form went awry, though he’s had soreness since the summer.ADVERTISEMENT Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims Portugal slump to 3-0 loss against the Netherlands in Geneva Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ LATEST STORIES Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazillast_img read more

READ MORE