ArchDaily 2020 Photographs: Adam Letch Manufacturers Brands with products used in this architecture project Photographs Manufacturers: Weylandts, Bronpi, Cannata, Gluex, Glutone, Rubio MonocaotArchitect In Charge:SAOTA, Jaco Booyens ArchitectInterior Designer:ARRCCContractor:Pro-Projects and De Kock BouersLandscaping:Fritz CoetzeeBespoke Furniture:OKHARoofing:Thatching – JNA ThatchersIrrigation:Groen KarooFurniture Design:Pieter Coetzee, designed by Greg TruenStaircase Design:Jaco Booyens ArchitectCity:LadismithCountry:South AfricaMore SpecsLess SpecsSave this picture!© Adam LetchRecommended ProductsCeramicsApariciPorcelain Tiles – TangoCeramicsTerrealTerracotta Baguettes in Vork CenterWoodTechnowoodPergola SystemsDoorsECLISSESliding Pocket Door – ECLISSE LuceText description provided by the architects. The restoration of the ensemble of heritage buildings on Buffelsdrift, west of Ladismith in the arid Klein Karoo region of the Western Cape, by SAOTA and Jaco Booyens Architect, a specialist in clay buildings, recently won the gold medal at the seventh edition (2019) of the international Domus Restoration and Conservation Award (www.premiorestauro.it) in Italy. The award recognises “excellence in the field of restoration, redevelopment and architectural and landscape recovery at an international level”.Save this picture!© Adam LetchSave this picture!Ground Floor PlanSave this picture!© Adam LetchThe restoration involved a cluster of Cape buildings in a valley beneath the Swartberg mountain range, consisting of a main house and two barns, plus a store. A short way off is a flat-roofed building, typical of the Ladismith style, which was originally used as a wine store. Other structures on the property include a contemporary shed, a cottage further up a hill and a graveyard.Save this picture!© Adam LetchThe house, barns and wine store were all restored. SAOTA director Greg Truen, who acquired the farm in 2016, notes that while minor additions and modern alterations had been made to the buildings, the original house, was “in good condition, considering” and that the barns were “fundamentally untouched”. In the main house, evidence of earlier refurbishments in the 1970s, were stripped out, while modern kitchen and bathrooms were inserted in an adaptive approach to conservation. A new pump house was added near the dam wall on the property. Its design and construction were an experiment in contemporary architecture using the same materials and techniques as the heritage buildings, including poured mud or “cob” walls, as well as brick vaulted roofs. The landscaping around the house took the form of a series of low terraces.Save this picture!© Adam LetchLicences to graze livestock on the land date back to the mid-1700s, and it is clear that it was farmed before the 1800s. The original circular farm was divided into smaller parts over the years. The main house on this portion on the farm dates back to 1852. The date and initials IWDV, Isak Wilhelm van der Vyver, are inscribed above the door. The Van der Vyver family was associated with Buffesldrift as far back as 1768, when they first leased the farm.Save this picture!© Adam LetchSave this picture!Site PlanSave this picture!© Adam LetchIncidentally, 1852 was the year in which Ladismith was proclaimed, unlocking growth and development in the area. Fruit trees, grapes and other crops were farmed in the valley, although by the late 1800s and early 20th century, crops were largely abandoned in favour of ostrich farming, which brought great prosperity as a result of the international ostrich feather boom. The collapse of the fashion for ostrich feathers, war and drought brought economic devastation, and the once-bustling valley was largely abandoned. Now olives are commonly farmed in the valley.Save this picture!© Adam LetchThe front section of the house consists of a central living room with a bedroom on each side. The T- section included a dining area. While the front section had yellowwood beams and ceilings, the rafters in T-section were exposed. A lean-to section with a fireplace had been added in one of the elbows of the T using sundried bricks. It was being used as a kitchen.Save this picture!© Adam LetchThe house and barns had been constructed according to the usual technique used by Dutch settlers in the Cape, with walls of poured mud or clay, cast layer by layer about 700mm wide. “This method of construction – ubiquitously used by Dutch settlers, trekboers and later Voortrekkers – requires a source of clayey ground into which is added ‘a good proportion’ of sand and grit, possibly straw or dung, combined in a pit, all trod through by oxen-hooves in span,” writes Fisher (quoting William John Burchell’s Travels In The Interior Of Southern Africa).Save this picture!© Adam LetchProject gallerySee allShow lessHengqin International Financial Center / AedasSelected ProjectsJapanese Cuisine Tokiwa / Fumihiko Sano StudioSelected Projects Share Buffelsdrift Farm / SAOTA + Jaco Booyens ArchitectSave this projectSaveBuffelsdrift Farm / SAOTA + Jaco Booyens Architect CopyHouses, Restoration•Ladismith, South Africa Buffelsdrift Farm / SAOTA + Jaco Booyens Architect Architects: Jaco Booyens Architect, SAOTA Area Area of this architecture project Projects “COPY” South Africa Year: ShareFacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsappMailOrhttps://www.archdaily.com/955417/buffelsdrift-farm-saota Clipboard Area: 140000 m² Year Completion year of this architecture project Save this picture!© Adam Letch+ 34Curated by Hana Abdel Share ShareFacebookTwitterPinterestWhatsappMailOrhttps://www.archdaily.com/955417/buffelsdrift-farm-saota Clipboard Houses “COPY” CopyAbout this officeSAOTAOfficeFollowJaco Booyens ArchitectOfficeFollow#TagsProjectsBuilt ProjectsSelected ProjectsResidential ArchitectureHousesRefurbishmentRestorationOn FacebookLadismithSouth AfricaPublished on January 22, 2021Cite: “Buffelsdrift Farm / SAOTA + Jaco Booyens Architect ” 21 Jan 2021. ArchDaily. Accessed 10 Jun 2021.