Follow the news on Uganda October 17, 2017 – Updated on October 20, 2017 Uganda: Police harass newspapers over stories about parliamentary expenses Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is alarmed to learn that two leading Ugandan newspaper editors were summoned and questioned by the police yesterday and could face baseless libel charges designed to deter the media from covering a controversial bill to abolish a constitutional limit on the president’s age. News Organisation The two editors, Charles Bichachi of the Daily Monitor (which is owned by the Nation Media Group) and Richard Kintu of Red Pepper, a tabloid, were interrogated for several hours at the Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID) about their coverage of expenses reportedly allocated for parliamentary consultation with voters about the bill.They have been summoned for further questioning today and could in theory be facing up to a year in prison on a possible charge of “libel and offensive communication” in connection their stories about the proposed expenses, which were published on 12 October.The newspapers reported that sums ranging from six million to more than seven million Ugandan shillings (142,000 to 170,000 euros) had been earmarked for parliamentarians so that they could conduct consultations with the public about the bill.The complaint against the newspapers was brought by parliamentarians, who said that, ever since the stories appeared, they have been hounded on social networks by voters demanding that they return any money received.The Daily Monitor’s lawyer responded that there were no legal grounds for charges because a newspaper could not be held responsible for actions by others, in this case comments posted on social networks.“This interrogation of the editors of two very popular Ugandan newspapers is a message designed to deter all the other media, a message that comes down to saying: don’t cover this constitutional amendment too closely,” said Clea Kahn-Sriber, the head of RSF’s Africa desk.“This is a public consultation funded by public money, so these newspapers are just doing their job by informing taxpayers how their tax contributions are being used. We ask the Ugandan authorities to respect press freedom and to stop using this kind of pressure against media.”According to the constitution, a presidential candidate cannot be any older than 75. The bill to abolish this limit is actively supported by President Yoweri Museweni, who is currently aged 73, but has given rise to a great deal of controversy among the public and parliamentarians, some of whom have come to blows.Coverage of these events already led to the imposition of restrictions on the broadcast media last month.Uganda is ranked 112th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. Its media are often pressured by the authorities, who try to restrict coverage of stories linked to the government and opposition. Uganda urged to free two journalist held since last week on libel charges News Receive email alerts UgandaAfrica Condemning abuses Judicial harassmentFreedom of expression Ugandan lawmakers gather in the parliament to debate a move to change the constitution to extend the president’s rule, in Kampala, Uganda September 21, 2017. REUTERS/James Akena Ugandan president threatens to “bankrupt” leading daily UgandaAfrica Condemning abuses Judicial harassmentFreedom of expression RSF_en Uganda blocks social media and messaging apps, isolating election to go further March 12, 2021 Find out more June 4, 2021 Find out more News January 13, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News
Chips Shore “It’s been very exciting and very interesting work,” Shore said. “My goal is to have as much information as possible on-line for the public and attorneys in-house. It’s a big help to us in the clerk’s office, too, because it reduces the traffic into the courthouse. It’s the wave of the future.”But not everyone is gung ho to go high-tech, concedes Karl Youngs, general counsel for the Manatee County Clerk of Court.“The reaction has been mixed at this point. We still have some attorneys who only have one computer in their office and others are taking advantage of all the latest technology, and I’m sure there are even some still using a typewriter.” Youngs said. “There’s a huge spread of differences. That’s why we won’t mandate that all attorneys use electronic filing. But anything they give us in paper will be scanned. We won’t hold paper at the courthouse anymore.“Like anything new, there will be a learning curve,” Youngs added. “What we intend to do is give demonstrations and training at the clerk’s office.”Eddie Mulock, a former member of the Bar Board of Governors, is a fan of the e-file movement.“I think that electronic filing and an on-line criminal system are two of the best examples of putting technology to use for the betterment of our community,” Mulock said.“For attorneys, e-filing will save time, reduce cost, and increase our accessibility to information. All members of the legal community who register with this system will have the ability to file documents electronically. And everyone with Internet access will have immediate access to the most current information. We’ll all be looking at the same database, and we’ll have to worry less and less about paper files. It’s fantastic.”Shore said he’s already seen dramatic efficiencies in putting documents online. When Manatee County began scanning documents in the recording division and putting them on the Internet about two years ago, that move has already decreased people coming into the office by 60 percent and reduced microfilm machines from nine to two, Shore said.With the new live online filing for criminal courts, not only will judges and attorneys have access to a centralized database that allows them to scroll down a menu list of documents instead of flipping through a thick file, but law enforcement will be able to immediately confirm if a person has outstanding warrants.For the general public, from the convenience of a home or office computer, parents will be able to check on the backgrounds of care-givers for their children or elderly parents, property owners will be able to do background checks on renters, and employers will be able to see if potential employees have a criminal record.All data is current and accurate, Shore stressed, and changes can be made in real-time.No more paying runners to take a document to the courthouse. No more waiting days to receive documents in the mail.Sarasota County will follow Manatee County within a month, Shore said, adding that the goal is to have a complete database for the entire 12th Judicial Circuit, including DeSoto County.In 1998, Leon County had hopes of being first to lead the state into paperless courts.“We abandoned the effort,” said John Stott, chief deputy clerk for Leon County, explaining the past three years has been focused on Y2K readiness and software upgrades instead.“The rules were in place. The problem was our software systems wouldn’t support it. The fact that no one is up and doing it yet shows that everyone has had problems. Manatee got a grant for parts of it, and we decided we’d back off and let them pilot it. Sometimes when you try to pilot things, it doesn’t work out, and ours did not.”Asked what he attributes to Manatee being Florida’s first in e-filing, Youngs was quick to answer: “Mr. Shore. We started out with our official records. We were the first to go online and won a national award. He’s not in a race to be first. He just wants to make it happen. He believes it’s the most efficient way to manage the courts and serve the public.” By August 15, Shore said, the clerk’s office will set up accounts with attorneys who are willing to pay a $25 yearly fee to use this high-tech method of filing court documents on a secure website, a charge that is intended to prevent people from misusing the system. The court system administrator will authorize the attorney’s account, and a unique password will be created for each attorney. Next up, traffic cases by October 31, followed by civil records by December 31, and then recording of documents such as mortgages, deeds, and marriage licenses on February 1, 2002. June 15, 2001 Jan Pudlow Associate Editor Regular News Manatee launches e-filing system See also: Website to link court clerks Associate EditorFour years after the Florida Supreme Court gave its official blessing to electronic filing of court documents, Manatee County is now poised to become the first clerk’s office in Florida to finally make it happen.As Manatee Clerk of the Circuit Court R.B. “Chips” Shore likes to say: “The courthouse is only a click away.”On July 15, the first area at the Manatee County courts to go live with electronic filing will be criminal cases for in-house users. State attorneys, public defenders, and probation officers will receive information on defendants electronically from central booking, and the public records will be filed online throughout the duration of the case.Thanks to two grants from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement totaling $483,553, Shore was able to design and develop the first electronic filing of criminal records system in the state to be approved by the Supreme Court.The online criminal justice system replaces a trip to the courthouse and flipping through paper files, taking notes, or making Xerox copies. Instead, a few clicks of a mouse and a few taps on a keyboard will light up a personal computer screen with public information available at any time of day. Manatee launches e-filing system
Ulster scored the first nine points of the match and still led 9-5 at the interval as Saracens struggled to find a way through the home side’s defence at the Kingspan Stadium. The visitors then looked to be in further trouble when they were reduced to 14 men in the 54th minute when England forward Vunipola was shown a yellow card. Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall felt the second-half sin-binning of Billy Vunipola was the turning point for his side as they fought back from an early deficit to claim a 27-9 Champions Cup victory over Ulster. Press Association Former Ulster coach McCall was not getting carried away though, adding: “You don’t underestimate anybody and we’d been hoping that Ulster would be the first team to have played Oyonnax. “We’ve now got to go and do a real professional job there and then bring them back to our place. “If we can win those two games then we’re in a really good position.” The Aviva Premiership leaders scored the game’s only tries through Chris Wyles, Alex Goode, Duncan Taylor and Billy Vunipola with the touchdowns from Goode and Taylor being scored when the visitors were down to 14 men. Ulster’s director of rugby Les Kiss was hugely disappointed at seeing his side lose control of a game which they had looked in charge of midway through the first half. “In the first 20-25 minutes we positioned ourselves well and that 10-minute period in the first half we didn’t take advantage of that and put our foot to their throats,” he said. “Getting their try just before half-time allowed them to build some confidence. “When we had a chance to assert ourselves in the second half and put them under pressure we just didn’t work hard enough to make those opportunities come our way.” He added: “It was a typical Saracens performance and full credit to them, they hurt us. “When you leak four tries at home, that’s a bad place to be. It certainly puts us on the back-foot, without a doubt.” That was the second player Saracens had sent to the sin-bin after Michael Rhodes’ early misdemeanor but rather than fold in the face of adversity, McCall believes it helped galvanise his side into action as they scored 22 unanswered points in the final 21 minutes. He said: “We had to work really hard for it. “The first 20 minutes we hadn’t done all that wrong but we were 9-0 down and I think that’s what that team has; they are very experienced and very resilient and found a way to claw their way back into the game in the second 20 minutes of the first half. “But I think the turning point came when Billy Vunipola got sin-binned and I think that moment when they got into our 22 and we won a penalty the next eight minutes were wonderful and we got a strong, resilient team performance. “At half-time, 9-5 was ok for us and we’d chosen to play into the strong breeze but then when we didn’t capitalise on the pressure we had built early in the second half we were a little bit worried when Billy got sin-binned. “But I thought we were magnificent in that 15-minute period. Our half-backs were superb, they probed the corners and ran at the right times.” The bonus point win leaves Saracens at the top of Pool One on nine points, with Oyonnax, Ulster and Toulouse yet to pick up any points. Saracens go to Oyonnax – whose opening game against Ulster was postponed following the Paris terror attacks – next up as they look to further strengthened their place at the top of the table.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: On a high after a defining tour of Australia, the Virat Kohli-led Indian team faces a trickier challenge when it locks horns with an ever-so-sprightly New Zealand in a five-match ODI series starting Wednesday. The Indian team, which has shifted its focus entirely on World Cup preparations, is still searching for the right middle-order combination despite their first-ever bilateral ODI series win on Australian soil.Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s hat-trick of half-centuries has brought joy to the dressing room but the smaller grounds in New Zealand against a better seam attack comprising the wily Trent Boult, the talented Lockie Ferguson and the relentless Tim Southee will be a different test altogether for the ‘Men In Blue’.New Zealand in their own backyard have always been a force to reckon with and the touring Indian teams over the years will testify that, having won only 10 out of the 35 ODIs, including a 0-4 drubbing during the last series in 2014.Also Read | Virat Kohli creates history, becomes first cricketer to win Test, ODI and overall Player of the Year awardsThe first match at McLean Park, however, will be played in sultry conditions of around 30 degrees. Skipper Kohli is well aware that the Black Caps, with some quality players in their ranks, can be very competitive.“The fact they are No 3 in the world speaks about their consistency over the last couple of years. We played them in India and got beaten in Mumbai, and all the games were competitive and we felt they had a really good balance.“They have that energy and that buzz about them and they play their cricket in the right way which is something we always appreciate,” Kohli said at the pre-series media conference.For the Indian team, some of the issues that need to be addressed are Shikhar Dhawan’s form, Dhoni’s batting position and how to get the balance right till all-rounder Hardik Pandya comes back from suspension. Left-handed Dhawan’s position at the top of the order is under no imminent threat but a highest score of 35 in the last nine games doesn’t make a pretty picture.That Rishabh Pant has been instructed by the team management to face the new ball against England Lions in a home series is an indicator that they are trying to get back-up options ready. An immensely talented Shubman Gill has been selected as a reserve opener but it is unlikely that Dhawan will be dropped after a few failures.The No.4 position is another area of concern for India as Ambati Rayudu, after an inexplicable retirement from first-class cricket, looked completely out of sorts and is unlikely to regain his place in the side. Dhoni did well as a No.4 in the final ODI against Australia but Kohli is likely to use him more as a floater depending on match situations.With the Napier ODI promising to be a high-scoring affair as per New Zealand coach David Stead, a Dinesh Karthik or Kedar Jadhav could be promoted up the order. In the bowling department, Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Mohammed Shami will expect a bit more support in case the skipper plays a young third seamer in either Mohammed Siraj or Khaleel Ahmed.The New Zealand top-order also has a formidable look with one of the world’s best batsmen in skipper Kane Williamson and the ever-dangerous Ross Taylor, who is second only to Kohli in terms of batting averages (92) in 2018, holding forte.“We saw in the last series (vs Sri Lanka) we want to execute a few things better, certainly in the field, we want to step up and get back to our old ways which is that real attitude in the park,” Williamson said.TeamsIndia: Virat Kohli (captain), Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Siraj, Khaleel Ahmed, Ravindra Jadeja.New Zealand: Kane Williamson (captain), Ross Taylor, Tom Latham, Martin Guptill, Colin de Grandhomme, Trent Boult, Henry Nicholls, Doug Bracewell, Lockie Ferguson, Matt Henry, Colin Munro, Ish Sodhi, Micthell Santner, Tim Southee.