Read Full Story Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced Sept. 6 a $1 million federally funded campaign to encourage young people and others to drink fewer sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs), which health officials have linked to rising obesity rates and health care costs. The awareness campaign, to feature multimedia advertisements in English and Spanish, targets parents and caregivers who make grocery-buying decisions for the household, and teens and young adults who consume more SSBs than other age groups. The campaign was launched a month before Menino’s executive order to phase out the sale, advertising, and promotion of SSBs in all city buildings, which takes effect on Oct. 7.“We are in the midst of a health crisis in the city of Boston,” Menino said at a press conference. “Forty percent of the kids in Boston public schools are overweight or obese.”In August, Steven Gortmaker, professor of the practice of health sociology at Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), and Angie Cradock, senior research scientist at HSPH, published a study in Preventing Chronic Disease showing that a 2004 policy adopted by Boston public schools prohibiting the sale of SSBs was effective. They found that local high school students were consuming significantly fewer sugary drinks—1.38 average servings per day in 2006 compared with 1.71 servings in 2004, a 45-calorie per day reduction—despite the fact that the average consumption of sugary beverages did not decline among teens nationwide. “It [the daily calorie reduction] doesn’t seem like much. But it’s the level you need to start flattening out the obesity epidemic,” said Gortmaker, who participated in the city’s press conference.
“Pensionskassen should build know-how or start by paying specialists in one segment to better be able to judge asset managers,” he said.It was easier for large players to get better fee structures because of economies of scale, Meier added.He said he was particularly worried about the trend for Swiss Pensionskassen to invest in assets such as insurance-linked securities or private debt solely for return reasons.“Many pension funds do not fully understand the risks and in Switzerland we lack historic experience with the investments,” he explained.High exposure to corporate bonds was a “possible ticking time bomb”, Meier warned, as the “additional credit risk is often underestimated”.Meier has been researching alternative investments for many years, and up until the summer he taught this subject at the ZHAW.The debate on costs in Swiss pension portfolios has been fuelled by the low interest rate environment as well as the obligation for Pensionskassen to fully disclose total expense ratios.In some cases cautious strategies have led to Swiss pension funds cutting out alternative investments entirely.However, recent research by consultancy Siglo showed competition and demand had already brought down fees in some alternative segments such as senior secured loans. Additionally, the most recent risk study by consultancy Complementa revealed higher cost strategies outperformed last year. The trend to diversify as much as possible into alternative investments is based on a “misunderstanding”, according to a Swiss economist.Peter Meier, economist and former professor at the ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, voiced concerns over the trend towards alternatives to delegates at the Institutional Retirement and Investor Summit organised by Barbara Bertolini in Vienna this week.“Swiss Pensionskassen are often invested in too many different strategies and are paying too much money for them,” he said.He urged medium-sized and smaller pension funds to instead specialise and get familiar with one or two strategies.
An air of positivity had been building around Old Trafford after a run of four straight wins in all competitions. United began the weekend atop of the Premier League standings, but have now been usurped by Manchester City and Arsenal after an embarrassing 3-0 defeat at the Emirates Stadium. “I put the question already at half-time and also after the match because normally I say the things how I see it in the game. “But, yeah, that is also difficult to answer for the players at this moment because they are all in an emotional moment. “We have lost, we have lost in a way that you cannot lose when you are top of the bill or top of the league – you cannot start like we have started and they know that. “The worst thing is that everybody is going away, even out of London airports. “They are flying away and I cannot build up a new situation that they have the confidence to play football, to win your next battle against Everton away, for example.” Van Gaal began to clam up after giving those initial answers in the post-match press conference, during which he defended the decision to leave defensive Morgan Schneiderlin on the bench. There were no selection questions for his Arsenal counterpart, though, which must have been a relief for Arsene Wenger after a tough few days dominated by the decision to play David Ospina. The Frenchman bristled this week when asked about the choice to leave Petr Cech out of the starting line-up in Tuesday’s shock 3-2 defeat to Olympiacos – a result Arsenal bounced back from impressively. “I’ve been at the club for 19 years and I know what you want is a strong response in a big game when you have a big disappointment,” Wenger said. “But we (took it in) perspective and focused on what is important. It’s us and not too much what was said and we focused on what is important in the game and that is part of being at the top level. “The pressure on any disappointment today is massive and it’s maybe a little bit more difficult to deal with it but we did well.” Ozil, Theo Walcott and Sanchez were amongst the standout performers for Arsenal, with Wenger downplaying the latter’s injury as a “little groin problem”. However, there was certainly no talking down the importance of a result that puts them two points off leaders City. “To win in a big game is always a statement,” Wenger said. “We are in it, we are two points off the league leaders, Manchester City, so I hope that result today will give us belief to fight for it.” Louis van Gaal was “amazed” by Manchester United’s display as Arsenal got back to winning ways in some style. Exceptional Alexis Sanchez efforts either side of a fine Mesut Ozil strike meant the match was over inside 19 minutes, leaving Van Gaal as perplexed as he was angry. “I didn’t expect that,” he said. “I was surprised – not performing our game plan, not the will to win. I didn’t see that. “We were top of the league so I was surprised – amazed, maybe that is a better word. “When you give a team like Arsenal so much space to play football, then you know that you shall lose. “And we have prepared ourselves also in that way, to play more contact but don’t lose your aggression. “It was amazing for me and I am very disappointed.” Van Gaal bemoaned United’s lack of intensity, aggression and pressing after defeat in north London – the worst possible way for his side to approach the international break. “That I don’t know,” the Dutchman said when asked why the encounter had played out like that. Press Association
Honestly, Paul Pierce still believes he’s a truth-teller. As a TV talking head, that’s important and refreshing.Having turned 40 last week, and squeezing out the last two years of a 19-year NBA career with the Clippers, the former Inglewood High star says he finds it a natural, mature and essential transition to take over a full-time speaking gig at ESPN on their NBA shows. It’s a spot that came up when Bruce Bowen’s contract ran out, and he landed with the Clippers as their new Prime Ticket game analyst.Current TNT studio analyst Shaquille O’Neal once pinned Pierce with the nickname “The Truth.” Does that put any extra pressure on him to speak the truth about players who he was just playing against last year?“Yeah, it’s easy, that’s just who I am,” Pierce said this week from his home in Calabasas. “I give my honest opinion. Whether it’s right or wrong, but it’s an opinion that I’ll make. It’s easy, man. “None of these guys are calling my hot line saying they want to come beat me up or anything. Everybody is entitled to an honest opinion. What does it matter that I played against these guys than somebody else who didn’t play against them?”As a “guest” analyst during the last two NBA Finals, Pierce got his reps in and “I had a good time. I developed a good chemistry with the team there. After I did the second one, and I just thought maybe this is something I could do after basketball. I enjoyed talking about the game. I enjoyed being around it. I’ve been around it my whole life. So why not make this a second career out of this?“It gives me a chance to be around the game. When you’ve been around the game so much for so many years, it’s just like it’s a part of you. It’s like, man, when I was on the set during the NBA Finals, it’s funny that we’re on tape and we have microphones and suits on, but it’s like this is stuff we did every day in the locker room — talked hoops, we talked our opinions.”Pierce, who will appear on ESPN’s “The Jump,” “NBA Countdown” pre-game and halftime as well as jump in on “First Take” Thursday morning when it comes to the ESPN LA Live studios, admits he was in a position like many former players when their careers end. Getting into TV work maintains a connection they still desire.“I think the challenging part is a lot of players from different sports sometimes don’t always know what they want to do. You kind of just fall into it, and then once I was working the NBA Finals a year ago, and it was just like really feeling comfortable and doing stuff that I did on an everyday basis in the locker room talking hoops and talking about different players and talking about the games. It’s like something I’ve been doing my whole life. “Now you’re just doing it to where people can hear your opinion on certain games and certain players. It just felt I was feeling comfortable right at home. Now I’m doing it on the big screen.“I’ve been talking basketball pretty much my whole life. Now I’ve garnered the respect of my peers to hear me speak about the game. I just think it’s going to take on a life of its own.”OK, first test of his knowledge and honesty: Did you really expect Chris Paul to leave the Clippers, having known him as a teammate the last two seasons?(Also keep in mind: ESPN The Magazine has Jackie MacMullan doing a cover piece on this topic with the headline “Better Call Paul” and ESPN Films has invested in a three-part series called “Chris Paul’s Chapter 3” that begins airing Thursday at 4 p.m.)“Truthfully, I didn’t think there was no way that Chris would leave the Clippers,” said Pierce. “He really built up something special, you know, with getting the Clippers back to being legitimate, make the playoffs every year, 55 games. He just bought a new home like less than a year ago. He had a $200 million offer on the table. So that really shocked me that he would leave.“Obviously, sometimes him and Doc had their differences, but what star players don’t have differences with their head coach? Especially when you guys have been together four or five years and things haven’t really panned out the way you really wanted them to. Same thing happened in Boston. Me and Doc, we didn’t look eye to eye all the time.“But that really shocked me seeing him leave, especially what he had built in L.A., on and off the court, and he had a huge contract in front of him and with him getting a new house. So that really shocked me. I didn’t think there was no way he would leave Los Angeles.”That’s the truth Pierce is sticking with.More media notes heading into the weekend at www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error