Citing witnesses, including the mother of one of the victims, Bah reported that two men were killed by shots fired by soldiers – identifiable by their red berets – during clashes between protesters and security forces in a Conakry suburb on the evening of 7 November. News Reached by RSF, HAC president Martine Condé claimed that Bah “acknowledged that he had no evidence” when he appeared before the HAC on 12 November. This is disputed by Bah and contradicted by his article. RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on Guinea’s media regulator, the High Authority for Communication (HAC), to reconsider its decision to suspend the accreditation of a reporter for two French media outlets for reporting that two civilians were shot dead by soldiers in a Conakry suburb last week. Guinea : RSF and AIPS call for release of two imprisoned journalists Guinean journalist’s continuing detention is “incomprehensible,” RSF says In response to a defence ministry complaint, the HAC announced that it had suspended Bah’s accreditation until February for “failing to verify information,” lack of “proof” and “lack of balance” in his report, which was carried by both RFI and AFP on 8 November. RFI issued a statement “deploring” the withdrawal of Bah’s accreditation and saying it was “astonished” to have received a HAC demand for a right of reply for the defence ministry, given that, in “repeated calls and messages,” Bah had tried to interview the Conakry police regional director and the ministry for security and civil protection’s spokesperson for RFI on 12 November. November 16, 2018 RSF asks Guinea’s regulator to restore correspondent’s accreditation RSF has copies of the messages Bah sent and a list of the calls he made on 8 November seeking reactions from representatives of the security forces, including the army high command’s spokesperson, the defence ministry’s spokesperson and the ruling party’s spokesperson. He failed to get an official comment. Bah is the correspondent of Radio France Internationale and Agence France-Presse. He is also RSF’s Guinea correspondent. In its statement, the HAC said that no new request by Bah for accreditation would be considered “before the end of February 2019.” GuineaAfrica Protecting sources “This journalist did his job by interviewing witnesses in order to establish the facts of the deadly events of the evening of 7 November,” said Head of RSF’s Africa desk Arnaud Froger. “An experienced journalist known for his professionalism, he repeatedly tried to get the army’s version throughout the following day, without getting any response. We therefore call on the HAC to reconsider and to allow him to resume working.” Mouctar Bah, correspondant de RFI, AFP, et RSF. Photo : mediaguinee.org/ Guinean journalist finally freed after being held for nearly three months GuineaAfrica Protecting sources Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Guinea Pointing out that the journalist, Mouctar Bah, did everything possible to obtain the army’s version of the shooting before filing his story, RSF asks the HAC to allow Bah to continue working as an accredited reporter. to go further Receive email alerts News April 15, 2021 Find out more Guinea is ranked 104th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. News Organisation May 19, 2021 Find out more News April 9, 2021 Find out more
Exxon seeking to reduce costs further after consecutive quarterly lossesTexas major Exxon posted the worst quarterly results in its modern history, with a $1.1bn loss comparing to $3.3bn in earnings during the same period of 2019 and build upon a $610m loss in the first quarter of the year.“The global pandemic and oversupply conditions significantly impacted our second-quarter financial results with lower prices, margins, and sales volumes,” said chairman and CEO Darren Woods.“We have increased debt to a level we feel is appropriate to provide liquidity, given market uncertainties. Based on current projections, we do not plan to take on any additional debt.”Production was down 7% on the previous year to 3.6 million barrels of oil equivalent per day as a result of the global efforts made to limit the flow of commodities into oversupplied inventories and demand-sapped markets.The difficulties faced by its upstream business amid these curtailments pushed the business unit to a $1.7bn loss, compared to a profit of 3.3bn last year.Exxon said it has identified “significant potential” to make additional cost reductions, and will provide details of these in due course. It has already signalled an intention to cut capital spending plans by 30% this year, and confirmed it is currently on track to “meet or exceed” these targets. Chevron posted an $8.3bn loss as it took price-related impairment charges and wrote of its entire Venezuelan portfolio (Credit: Flickr/Tony Webster) US oil majors have revealed the stunning cost of this year’s oil market collapse, with Chevron, ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips posting billions of dollars in losses in the second quarter of 2020, driven by low commodity prices and impairment charges.Chevron today (31 July) reported an $8.3bn loss for the period, far wider than analyst predictions and the worst performance in decades, while Exxon posted a $1.1bn loss, the deepest in its history.Yesterday, ConocoPhillips had kicked off the announcements by revealing a $994m loss for the second three months of the year, compared to earnings of $1.1bn a year ago.The onset of coronavirus since the start of 2020 has wreaked havoc on the oil industry, due to a sharp fall in demand amid lockdown restrictions and plummeting prices resulting from a global commodity surplus.Measures were taken by the Opec+ alliance of oil-exporting countries to curb global production, joined in their efforts by market-led output cuts from companies in the US and Canada.While key benchmark prices have now stabilised at around $40-45 per barrel following huge drops in March and April, they are still well below pre-pandemic levels of between $60-$70 per barrel.Earlier this week, the US oil majors’ European rivals Shell and Total narrowly avoided taking underlying losses thanks to the strength of their oil trading arms, although confirmed combined impairment charges of $25bn that were not factored into the second-quarter earnings. BP is expected to publish its results next week. Chevron, Exxon and ConocoPhillips have all posted big losses as the US oil majors grapple with the effects of coronavirus on the global industry Chevron fares worst of US oil majors, taking $5.2bn in impairment chargesCalifornia-headquartered Chevron’s $8.3bn loss compares to a $4.3bn profit in the second quarter of 2019.It includes a series of impairment charges reflecting the writedown of all its Venezuelan assets, a revised price outlook adjusting to the low-price environment and severance payments. Taken together these charges totalled $5.2bn.Company CEO Michael Wirth warned the “unique challenges” of the past few months are not over, and that financial results may continue to be depressed in the third quarter.“Given the uncertainties associated with economic recovery, and ample oil and gas supplies, we made a downward revision to our commodity price outlook, which resulted in asset impairments and other charges,” he added.Revenue during the period fell 55% year-on-year to $16bn, compared to $36bn a year ago.