Press Association Elwood’s charges battled bravely on the restart with the wind at their backs, but the benefit of a strong replacements bench was vital for Glasgow as five points from the boot of another Lion Stuart Hogg, allied to Maitland’s 70th-minute effort, eased them over the line. On a windy night in the west of Ireland, Connacht were hoping to provide a winning send-off for departing head coach Eric Elwood with the match also marking the final outings for the province of Johnny O’Connor, Adrian Flavin and the Leinster-bound Mike McCarthy. However, a Ruaridh Jackson penalty was added by a Van der Merwe try as the visitors established a 10-3 half-time advantage with Dan Parks nailing a late penalty for Connacht. Glasgow Warriors missed out on a home semi-final in the RaboDirect Pro12 but tries from DTH van der Merwe and British and Irish Lions call-up Sean Maitland did see the Scottish side advance to the play-offs on the back of a 20-3 victory over Connacht.
A gunman opened fire in a temple outside of San Diego Saturday, killing one person and injuring three. On the last day of Passover, this also included a rabbi who was addressing the congregation at the time. According to authorities a suspect was later detained. The shooting is being considered a hate crime. “It was a hate crime, and that will not stand,” said Steve Vaus, mayor of Poway. He also said that the shooter made hateful statements when he entered the synagogue.
For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Switzerland: The International Boxing Association (AIBA) says it has approved new uniforms for female boxers to wear for religious reasons. AIBA says “hijabs and full body form-fitting uniforms” have been designed “that do not compromise the competition and therefore the health of the boxers.”Previously, the boxing association objected to the material of hijab head coverings “which was not designed to fit the body and had potential to come off and interfere in the competition.”AIBA says the rule change highlights its “commitment to gender equity and religious tolerance.”AIBA is currently under scrutiny by the International Olympic Committee, which halted formal planning for men’s and women’s boxing tournaments at the 2020 Tokyo Games.The IOC’s main issue is with AIBA president Gafur Rakhimov, who is on a US Treasury Department sanctions list.
The Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at USC will hold two new programs this summer that offer high school students the opportunity to experience hands-on lab research in the biomedical sciences and to encourage them to pursue science after high school.Summer · The Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research Center at USC will offer two summer programs for high school students interested in stem cell research and practical lab experience. – Photo courtesy of Keck Medicine of USCEarly Investigator High School Summer Program in Stem Cell Research gives scientifically minded high school students from Harvard-Westlake School, the Marlborough School and the Lifeline Education Charter School the ability to experience eight weeks in a research laboratory.The USC Science, Technology and Research High School Summer Research and Creativity program, which has a 23-year standing partnership with the Francisco Bravo Medical Magnet High School, will broaden into stem cell research with its $264,000 grant from the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine.These programs offer high school students eight weeks in the lab and a weeklong workshop at the beginning of the summer, during which students learn techniques for stem cell research. Participants also attend progress meetings and seminars, and are assigned regular lab duties.“Expansion of the USC STAR summer research program is an exciting new chapter in our science education endeavors and partnership with Bravo High School,” said Dr. Roberta Diaz Brinton, director of the USC STAR program.USC STAR will offer 10 high school students the opportunity to intern with a research team either at the Stem Cell Center or one of its 50 associate laboratories. All CIRM STAR interns will give a final research presentation and will aid in planning the Stem Cells, Creativity and the Public forum.In the EiHS program, students will be placed with a mentor who will guide them through the research process. The program has accepted three students from Harvard-Westlake but is not sure how many applicants it will accept from Marlborough and Lifeline Education Charter School. Students are nominated by teachers and are required to fill out an application and attend an interview.Dr. Victoria Fox, EiHS program director, said she started this program because of high school students’ interest in science.“This is a research-run facility involved in training individuals from undergrads to professors,” Fox said. “Every year I got bombarded by high school students who wanted to come to my lab and gain experience.”Fox said he hopes EiHS will give participants the opportunity to gain practical experience in a lab.“The program will bring kids from all different backgrounds together through science and take kids from any school that are gifted and give them opportunity to work in a lab at a higher education level,” Fox said.Brinton said this program is important for the USC STAR program and for the students who will gain from this new opportunity in science.“The Broad Institute of Regenerative Medicine faculty mentorship of STAR students joins in the remarkable Trojan Family spirit of USC scientists who give so generously of their gifts and talents and who pay it forward,” Brinton said.
When USC faltered a week ago on the road at Stanford, a multitude of issues plagued the Trojans in their 5-3 loss: inaccurate shooting, a lack of focus and an inability to contend with a more physical Cardinal team.Seven days later, in a matchup with conference rival Cal, the inexperienced bunch shored up many of those lagging issues, but instead, new problems presented themselves, namely on the defensive end.Just short · Junior driver Peter Kurzeka and USC went down 5-0 early to Cal and, despite a furious rally, could not come back. – Katelynn Whitaker | Daily Trojan “We struggled with communication in defense, and [Cal’s] players did their job,” said junior goalie Joel Dennerley. “Every single one of our guys was making a mistake, and they capitalized on that.”Trailing No. 2 California 8-2 at the end of the second quarter, the No. 1 USC men’s water polo team (15-2, 1-2) found itself in a widening hole against an offense that couldn’t miss, eventually falling 12-9 despite a late surge of their own.“We just didn’t come out the way we should’ve,” said freshman driver Nikola Vavic. “We were ready, but things were just going their way. There wasn’t much we could do about it.”While the offense sputtered in the early goings, Cal took advantage of a series of defensive miscues on behalf of the Trojans, working their way to a 5-0 lead before Vavic finally put the Trojans on the scoreboard with 28 seconds remaining in the first frame.Yet, even with their limited offensive production, USC had an even greater difficulty stringing any goals together. Following Vavic’s goal, the Trojans turned the ball over on subsequent possessions, while the opposing Golden Bears made scoring look routine.After it’s five-goal outburst in the first period, Cal continued its success, scoring three more goals before halftime to balloon its lead to a six-goal margin.“They’re a good offensive team and have some good shooters, but for me, personally, it was a really disappointing game,” Dennerley said. “I let in some easy goals and it’s something I need to fix this week. It allowed them to get on a roll, and I take responsibility for this game in that regard.”But Cal’s scoring shouldn’t come as a surprise, as it features two attackers in Ivan Rackov and Luka Saponjic, who presently rank among the leaders in scoring nationally.“When you give them time and space, they’ll put their shots away,” Dennerley said. “It was good offense by them.”Rackov made a point to let Dennerley know how proficient the Bears were offensively. Following his hat trick-clinching goal late in the second frame, Rackov pointed at the Trojans’ goalie, holding up three fingers and rotating them from side to side.But Dennerley shrugged it off.“I try not to worry about that,” he said. “Players just try to get a psychological advantage and will talk crap to you. He’s a good player and a good shooter. He’s always going to get goals and our job is to stop him. We didn’t do that.”Luckily, the Trojans experienced a late scoring barrage of their own, to at least make the game competitive. Despite an 8-2 deficit at halftime, USC tallied seven second-half goals, with five coming in the fourth period.“This was a team we beat before, so we know we can play against them,” Vavic said, who finished with three goals on the day. “So, in the second half, we just knew we had to relax. They were just getting some lucky plays here and there, and we weren’t.”But as expected, such a lead was hard to overcome.“This game was really important, but we still have a long way to go in the season,” Dennerley said. “Depending on how things go, we can still be on top come the end of the year. We just need to focus on preparing for next week and fixing what happened today.”
The first of a seven race card gets going at 6pm.
Share on: WhatsApp “Our first goal was to qualify from the mini-league and the boys did that. Congratulations to them.”Cisse preferred not to dwell on the last Cameroon-Senegal clash — the 2002 final won 3-2 on penalties by the Indomitable Lions after 120 goalless minutes in Bamako.The Senegal coach captained his country that evening and failed to convert a penalty in the shootout.“I suspected that final would come up in the media,” said Cisse, “but 2002 is in the past.“Most of our squad in Gabon were quite young then. Even if they do remember the final, it would be a vague recollection.”Cameroon boasted stars in 2002 like Rigobert Song, now deceased Marc-Vivien Foe and Samuel Eto’o, while El Hadji Diouf was the best known Senegalese.Cameroon have no stars now, rather a team of emerging internationals led by France-based goal poacher Benjamin Moukandjo who are dedicated to working for each other.“We have young players hungry to play and keen to win,” said Belgian coach Hugo Broos. “Now that we have reached the quarter-finals, anything can happen.”Senegal do have current stars, most notably Liverpool attacker Sadio Mane. He has already scored twice in Gabon having finished third in the 2016 African Footballer of the Year poll.Cameroon and Senegal kick off at 2000 local time (1900 GMT), three hours after Burkina Faso and Tunisia launch the two-day quarter-finals schedule in Libreville.Burkina Faso held Cameroon and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang-led Gabon before comfortably disposing of Guinea-Bissau to surprisingly top Group A.After wasting many scoring chances in a 2-0 defeat by Senegal, Tunisia beat Algeria 2-1 and Zimbabwe 4-2 to finish Group B runners-up under vastly experienced Polish coach Henryk Kasperczak.Leading Tunisia scorer Naim Sliti says his team play “beautiful football” and the four-goal 37-minute destruction of Zimbabwe was clinical finishing at its best.But physically imposing Burkina Faso, boasting experienced campaigners like Bakary Kone, Charles Kabore and Prejuce Nakoulma, are likely to prove stubborn opponents. Africa Cup of Nations quartersSaturdayBurkina Faso v Tunisia 7pm; Senegal v Cameroon 10pmLibreville, Gabon | AFP | Senegal coach Aliou Cisse insists Africa Cup of Nations opponents Cameroon are favourites to win the eagerly-awaited quarter-final in Franceville on Saturday.Pundits beg to differ, though, making the Senegalese Teranga Lions favourites not only to reach the semi-finals, but to go on and win the competition for the first time.Senegal impressed when winning Franceville-based Group B, defeating Tunisia and Zimbabwe by 2-0 scorelines before starting with 10 reserves in a 2-2 draw against Algeria.Cameroon came second in Libreville-based Group A, drawing 1-1 with Burkina Faso, edging Guinea-Bissau 2-1 and holding Gabon in a 0-0 stalemate, a result which eliminated the 2017 hosts.Cisse sounded like a Cameroon praise-singer as he spoke ahead of the last-eight showdown, the fourth meeting between the countries in the Cup of Nations with the Indomitable Lions holding a 2-1 advantage.“Cameroon are the favourites,” he stressed. “They have won the Cup of Nations four times while Senegal have never won it. So, if there has to be a favourite, it must be Cameroon.“The Indomitable Lions have great players and an experienced coach. I and my team are very honoured to meet them.”As to being tournament favourites, former national team star and captain Cisse was having none of that either.“How can we be favourites when you have the likes of Ghana, Morocco and the Democratic Republic of Congo still in contention?“Ghana were finalists in the last tournament, Morocco have impressed and DR Congo exhibit tremendous potential.“For me, reaching the quarter-finals was a huge relief as Senegal have not been to the knockout stage since 2006 in Egypt.
They were able to inaugurate the Darder, spur, and Budimir marker, knocked out by Cabrera. Also Calleri, in a goal saved by Reina, like Valjent before De Tomás hit the net a death pass from the ‘10’ parakeet. The attacks were as aggressive as the defenses were indolent, as if they were handling a time bomb to explode.But the ‘summum’ of the nerves came with the penalty that Mateu Lahoz pointed out about Budimir but that the VAR, in charge of Martínez Munuera, annulled because before the ball had left the bottom line. Cornellà celebrated it almost as a rehearsal for his own goal.And it would come around the game time, in a stolen ball on the left by Dídac, who focused on Darder serving as a tray the head of the relentless Thomas, who had the 2-0 (which would have matched the particular scoring goal) on a double occasion with Darder who broke up Reina.He managed with some ease the advantage of Espanyol against a Mallorca that lost control with the change of the expert Salva Sevilla, although he came to hang around the tie in Budimir’s head. The first of many endings awaiting. Espanyol announces that it was preferable to spend the money in the winter market to have to do it in Second. 20 million Chen Yansheng invested in Raúl de Tomás, the most expensive signing in its history. And time is giving the right to the parakeet owner, while taking it away from romantic football. There is no match in which the forward does not score, and there are already five between LaLiga and the Copa del Rey. And today was not worth three points, but six, against a Mallorca that continues to mark the permanence but which equals points.Tons of tranquilizers would have been distributed in Cornellà-El Prat (in the stands and even on the lawn) in the first section of the meeting had a pharmacy been installed in the stadium. The starter was astonishing, as if instead of a duel for the permanence a match was won that won the one that scored the first goal as soon as possible.
– Advertisement –
Mane moved to Red Bull Salzburg in 2012 and then to Southampton two years later before settling at Anfield, where he has scored 36 goals in 76 games.However, he says he was initially unable to convince his family to let him leave his hometown of Sedhiou in order to pursue a professional career in Senegal’s capital city Dakar.“It was a tough moment for me when I was in Senegal, especially when I was young. I was born in a village, I grew up there, and they don’t like football,” Mane told SuperSport.“My mum, my dad and my uncle preferred me to go to school all the time and study. At that time I was only focusing on being a football player.Senegal forward Sadio Mane takes part in a training session in Kaluga, Russia“They told me ‘How can you be a football player? It is not possible. This village is far from Dakar, how can you go? We don’t even have family there’.“But I knew I was going to be a football player, I just didn’t know how. It was the only thing I was doing, the only thing that I knew. Always training, training, training, training.“They never, ever tried to help me until the day I left my school, I was fifteen or sixteen. I said ‘Now is enough, I have to stop school – I want to be a football player, I have to focus’.“They said ‘Are you crazy, how?’. I said ‘I don’t know but I will go to Dakar, I don’t know anyone but I can play on the street and hopefully someone can find me.“I think they thought I was joking but one day I packed all of my luggage, stopped school and went. I didn’t tell anyone but my best friend.Southampton’s Senegalese midfielder Sadio Mane (L) vies with Liverpool’s English defender Nathaniel Clyne during the English Premier League football match between Southampton and Liverpool in Southampton, southern England on March 20, 2016 (AFP Photo/Adrian Dennis)“For one week nobody saw me in the house, or at school, so they tried to call everywhere. They went to my friend and finally he told them that I went to Dakar.“They found me, they took me from Dakar and took me back home.”When asked where his passion for football came from, Mane added: “It is from when I was born.“When I was three or four only football was in my head. I went 10 years and nothing changed, only football, football, football.“The strange thing is, nobody played football in my family before.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Liverpool forward Sadio Mane struck twice in a 4-0 rout of West HamLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 30 – Liverpool forward Sadio Mane says he was forced to sneak away from home as a teenager to pursue his dream of becoming a footballer.The 26-year-old has enjoyed a swift rise in European football after joining French side Metz as a youngster from Senegalese football academy, Academie Generation Foot.